Tag: Tracheal intubation

Awake Tracheostomy

They say that anesthesiology is 95% comfy and relaxed and the other 5% is “oh shit”!  It’s a great career choice — pretty flexible hours, great patient contact, broad spectrum medicine, crisis management, leadership role, etc. There happened to be an interesting case in the OR — awake tracheostomy for a patient coming in from home.

Continue reading

The comparison of the effects of dexmedetomidine, fentanyl and esmolol on prevention of hemodynamic response to intubation

A study out of Turkey… Curious to see how this works in our ASA 3 and 4 CABG cases. The comparison of the effects of dexmedetomidine, fentanyl and esmolol on prevention of hemodynamic response to intubation. Rev. Bras. Anestesiol. vol.64 no.5 Campinas Sept./Oct. 2014

Blunting hemodynamic response to tracheal intubation #anesthesia

https://secure.muhealth.org/~ed/students/articles/AnesthAnalg_72_p0482.pdf This is an older study done that looked at placebo, lidocaine, fentanyl, and esmolol to blunt the effects of tracheal intubation/DL that typically occurs with it.  They looked at MAP/SBP and HR.  From their data, it appears that esmolol is the winner.  However, the doses of medication were not titrated to body weight.  It

Continue reading